Search This Blog

Thursday 12 July 2018

Nabburg Mania!


Things have been quiet in Blagovia, with His Grace enjoying the summer at Maison de Jardin, the official ducal country home. The autumn promises to be busy with more troops arriving in Blagovia, specifically a battalion of Battenburgers that have been retained by His Grace's agents for a two year contract. They are due to occupy the North Barracks, which are currently being repaired. Rumour has it that the Blagovian Dragoons will also be re-established.

Nabburg, on the other hand has been very busy of late...

With the discovery of my old Nabburg map a few weeks ago, my painting efforts have largely been focused upon this nation, and have been proceeding a pace. Having recently purchased 1 Hour Wargames by Neil Thomas, I got a real urge to try out some of the scenarios presented in the book, using Nabburg and Leutonia as the primary combatants.  With a true scarcity of 18th Century wargamers in these parts, and thus an obvious lack of opponents,  the "1 Hour"  rules provide an excellent venue for solo wargaming. Having already played a few scenarios using cardboard chits I was eager to try them with miniatures. The rules, although simple, are easily tweaked to suit one's taste, work well and are a fantastic way to have a quick wargame in the evening. They hearken back to a much simpler time in wargaming, and I heartily recommend them.

As of today I have completed the following:

Nabburg

Nabburger Grenadiers -1st Battalion (3 companies)

2 cannons (12 pounders)

Leutonia

8th Regiment (LaRue) -2nd Battalion (2 companies)

On the table:

Nabburg

3rd  Jager Battalion (2 companies)
5th   Jager Battalion (2 companies)
Artillery crew

Leutonia

1 company for the 2nd Battalion, 8th Regiment
Command Stand 8th Regiment
1 Battery (6 pounders)
Artillery crew
I also have 1 squadron of Hussars to paint, but I am not sure if they are going to be Leutonian or Nabburger.

I have been using the HaT 1/72 Prussians for the bulk of my forces, and they have been a pleasure to paint. My only "beef" with them is that the mould lines on some of them are brutal and I haven't found a way to adequately clean them up. In the past this would have killed my momentum and enthusiasm for the project, but I have recently been far less concerned with such things and the results speak for themselves. I will post pictures as soon as the bases are dry.  Hopefully by next weekend I can post some battle reports!

No comments:

Post a Comment