Search This Blog

Monday 30 July 2018

Changes a plenty!


Big changes at Festung Borislav. Well I finally reached my limit, and as my nephew used to say when he was a kid: "Enough is enough!" I have recently been painting up a storm, primarily 1/72 HaT Prussians as Nabburgers and Leutonians, and my painting bench has reached saturation. As a result of this, a couple of weeks ago my painting ground to halt. It did so because I spent 20 minutes looking for a colour, only to find that it was right in front of me,  buried and hidden behind another pot of paint. This was the proverbial final straw. It gave me the impetus to finally finish my study/library/painting bench. Located in a corner of the basement that is the coolest in the summer and the warmest in the winter, it promises to be sanctuary from the chaos of the world. Although not quite all done yet,  the shelves that will hold my paints are drying in the garage as I write this, and my books need to be taken out of the boxes, where they have been stored for some time, and arranged on the shelves (not visible in the pictures). All in all I am extremely happy with my efforts. I really think that the clutter and disorganisation was part of the reason that my painting output is so slow and erratic. Sometimes it's hard for me to get motivated when I have to spend several minutes clearing a suitable space and putting the required colours at hand. Too often I just walk away and find something else to do, instead of going through this routine! It also didn't help that my painting area was squeezed into the furnace/laundry room   Once everything is ship-shape and Bristol fashion I will post all of the finished results. In the mean time, some pictures to illustrate the before and after. 
One thing that the picture doesn't show is how small my old painting area was. It only measured 2'x3'.

Old messy bench



Another shot of the mess.

New clean bench.

New building bench, not so clean, yet.

My favourite part: the reading area.







4 comments:

  1. What a great painting area. I especially like the reading section. Good lighting and a very nice chair. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Mark! It's a lot better than what I had before. The reading area is the best part of the room for me. What is not visible in the picture is that to the left of the chair is a series of shelves. These are for my favourite books, with almost an entire shelf dedicated to the SYW.

      Delete
  2. I agree it is great to have everything tidy and encourages you to do more. It is important to have a system where you can find the colour you want reasonably quickly, good luck with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris! It's funny how something as simple as a tidy space can affect one's mood. The funny thing is that my work space where I am employed is completely, some say pedantically, organised, with everything clean, in its spot and no junk strewn about. I am not sure what this says about me on a psychological level;)

      Delete